Sunday, July 8, 2007

On the sixth day of July, I set sails for The MET.


"Set sails" does have a nice tone, but the reality was I departed from the New Haven train station, destination Grand Central, and rode the subway to 86th Street. With a bottled water in hand, and a new pair of Converse sneakers, I walked three blocks to the museum.

My plan was to tour the museum on a weekday rather than a weekend because I thought there would be less people. When I saw the crowds of people, I quickly remembered it was a holiday week. The security guards searched my bag, I purchased a ticket from a young girl who had a lovely smile, - and I was off.

Welcome to The Met!!! Please come with me and you will see some extraordinary art work.


This is The Museum Experience Course, but prior to taking your photography course, I doubt I would have even noticed - but when I saw the light I could hear your voice "it's all about the light."



Fragment of a literary tablet:
beginning and end of "Atrahasis," the Babylonian myth of the great flood

Clay - Mesopotamia, Babylon - Neo-Babylonian period, 7th - 6th century B. C.

The poem "Atrahasis," named after its hero, is an ancient Near Eastern precursor to the biblical story of Noah's ark. The text describes the creation of humankind and a great flood sent down by the god Enlil to destroy the people, who disturbed the gods with their noise. Atrahasis survived the flood by building a large boat.

Now this is History - pretty amazing!!! - See the writing on the tablet.

Bronze rod tripod
Cypriot, Late Bronze Age, ca. 1250-1050 B.C.

From Cyprus - represents some of the finest metal work produced in the eastern Mediterranean at the end of the Late Bronze Age. The decoration is a blend of Mycenaean Greek and Near Eastern elements.

It is hard for me to comprehend that work of this caliber existed during this period.
Henri Matisse (French, 1869-1954) Seated Woman, Back Turned to the Open Window,
ca. 1922, Oil on canvas

Notice the dialgoue between the interior and exterior space, the lively paisley pattern set the stage for the sailboats at sea.
Limestone Geryon
Cypriot, Archaic, 2nd half of the 6th century B.C.

In Greek mythology, Geryon was a three-bodied creature who lived in the West with his dog, a herd of cattle, and a herdsman.

Said to be at the temple at Golgoi...I couldn't tell what this was until I got closer and saw the baby's foot hanging out of the hammock.

Gabriel Orozco Mexican, born 1962
Nina en Homaca (Baby in Hammock), 1999
Silver dye bleach print

A sleeping beauty...Lothar Baumgarten, German, born 1944
Haida Metamorphosis, 1969
Chromogenic print

The artist used pocket mirrors to create the triangular reflections that hover before the objects, though the shapes partially obscure the masks. It is intriguing, and a bit creepy.

Florine Stettheimer, American, 1871-1944

The Cathedrals of Fifth Avenue, 1931-Oil on canvas
Fifth Avenue - New York's shopping mecca

Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue...
Stuart Davis, American, 1892-1984
Percolator
1927-Oil on canvas

This painting was really neat because it deconstructs the rounded, cylindrical forms of an ordinary coffeepot into the Cubist language of flat, overlapping planes and wedges. It was the first time Davis used what he called "color-space" logic - placing colors in such a way as to suggest spatial relationships. Pablo Picasso, Spanish, 1881-1973
Cavalier and a Seated Nude
1967 - Oil on canvas
Sofa, design - Filippo Pelagio Palagi (1775-1860)
Made by Gabriele Capello (1806-1876)

For the King of Sardinia, Carlo Alberto (1798-1849)

Upon viewing the color, fabric, and pattern of the sofa, I knew the owners were royalty. The mahogany and maple is so luxurious!

Brise Fan
Pierced and painted ivory; silk ribbon, metal loop, French, 1830

The fan is delicate, elegant, and feminine. It would compliment any woman's wardrobe. My stomach was empty so I ate lunch in the museum dining gallery. The menu was pricey but the salmon was delicious! During lunch I watched through the glass windows of the museum a homeless man dance, and speak to himself outside on the grass, while the couple sitting next to me laughed, he was their entertainment.
I began to wonder what his story was. Was he a father, or someone's brother? Was he once successful, did he ever eat lunch where I sat? Did he have addiction problems or was he mentally ill? Did he ever experience the joy of seeing the wonders that exist at The Met? One never knows one's own fate.

As I walked to the subway, I humbly thanked my higher power for the precious gift I have been given - my life...

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Great Sue! This is a perfect example of what I intended for the "non-paper" submissions. ...Reads like you had a wonderful experience. Education is all about expanding our understanding and appreciation for the fullest range of human experience, internalizing it and making it our own. Your touching prayer of gratitude at the end brings it all home.

Martha Alden Schuler said...

What a great blog. I feel like I missed a lot when I went to the Met. I would love to go back and look up the pieces you wrote about.